Believers In Touch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Believers In Touch

This forum is dedicated to keeping the followers of Christ in Hannibal, MO in touch with each other. We are free to express our opinions as long as we stay respectful. Talk about any topic you wish.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tithing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Tithing Empty
PostSubject: Tithing   Tithing Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 1:13 pm

My study today is a reply to questions on the matter of tithing. There are areas that seem like I'm replying directly to questions, and this is so.

What is a tithe?

Gen 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
Gen 28:22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

In the first verse, we see that a tithe is of everything you have. There are other verses that go into detail making sure people under the law understand that a tithe is of everything. Everything includes your income, your time, your talents, and your possessions. The second verse is one among many that describes the tithe as ten percent. Ten percent is the bare minimum. It is all that is required of all we call our own. Let's take your vehicle for example. How would you tithe your vehicle? Give people rides for the Lord's sake. Someone can't make it to church because they don't have a way. Give them a ride. Someone can't get to the doctors whether they be elderly or poor. Give them a ride because you want to show the love of Jesus. How do you tithe your time? Set aside parts of your day specifically for God. Take out time to study the word. Take out time to speak with God. Volunteer time to help the needy for the Lord's sake. Never do it for your own sake or you have voided the tithe and taken the glory yourself. And lastly, how do you tithe talents? Can you sing? Join the choir. Handy with tools? Help the church with maintainance. Are you a gardener? The church needs it's grass mowed, flowers watered, and weeds pulled, etc. You get the picture. And then there is the financial tithe which is the topic of this thread.
What is the main purpose of the tithe?

1Co 9:13-14 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

The main purpose of the financial tithe in this scripture is to support the church itself. The minister, if he ministers, has this as a full time job. The word minister isn't just preaching the gospel, but reaching out to those in need. When people need support, it is the ministry's job to support. When the people are hungry, it is the ministry's job to feed them. and so on. How can they minister if they don't have the resources to do so? The building is a necessary resource. The food is a necessary resource. Their own health is a necessary resource. The tithe puts food on the minister's table, pays for the bills of the church, and opens up ministries by supplying the resources. It is the minister's job, and the board, to tell where the finances are going. If you want your money to go towards a specific ministry (Let's take the food pantry for example) then you can give and offering and say it is for that purpose. Offering are separate from tithes because an offering is from what it yours, not what is God's.

What is God's?

Lev 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.

The ten percent is God's. When you give your tithe, you are just handing over what is already His. For those who wish to withhold tithes because they need it for bill money, is it okay to pay for your bills with someone else's money? Your friend asks you to hold onto his cash for safe keeping. Is it fine to spend it because your gas bill is high? No. It is theivery. Spending God's money on anything but God is stealing from God.

But I'm afraid I won't have enough money this month to support myself

Php 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Luk 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

I don't know where it says that God will make you rich. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. What it does say is that He will supply your needs. What you need and what you want are two different things. Do you need a new SUV, or do you need a vehicle to make it back and forth to work? He doesn't promise to hand you extra money. He promises to provide. There are many ways He can provide with his overflowing. He can give you health. He can make sure your car doesn't break down. He can make sure food is on your table. He can make it so you feel more fullfilled and joyful. You pockets won't be overflowing with cash, but your life will be overflowing with blessings.

Think back on the story of the woman who gave two mites. They were worth less than one cent, but she gave it. It was all she owned. Don't you think she needed food on her table? She realized the importance of giving.

Telling God you won't give Him what is His because you are afraid your bills won't get paid is the same as saying, "God, I don't believe you can provide for me."

Tithing in the New Testament

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Notice the end of the verse where is says to not leave the other undone. Jesus still expects them to tithe, and He is the New Testament. But anything you do without love is better left undone. The pharisees gave so that people could pat them on the back. As Christians, we are to give with joy. Not only give our finances, but give our love, give mercy, have faith in God, and the like.

This is what I have come up with on this topic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/outbreak07

Tithing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Believers In Touch :: General :: Bible Study-
Jump to: