Believers In Touch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Believers In Touch

This forum is dedicated to keeping the followers of Christ in Hannibal, MO in touch with each other. We are free to express our opinions as long as we stay respectful. Talk about any topic you wish.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Church

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Church Empty
PostSubject: Church   Church Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 2:00 am

Okay.. heres a topic I think I'll get some replies to. This is totally me fishing for someone to study with me Razz

Does the Bible require that you go to church? If you say yes, or no, then say why and use scripture to back it up.

If I disagree with you.. then just think of it as a challenge.. not me putting you down. When people disagree, they are forced to grow in order to understand each other.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/outbreak07
Faith
Radically Saved!
Radically Saved!
Faith

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:20 am

As for what I "think", you are not required to attend church. I have no scripture to that affect. But in Hebrews 10:25 he tells us not to forsake assembling ourselves together. What better way than to attend church?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 2:21 pm

i agree church isn't a necessity. In all actuality, in the days of Jesus, they didn't have church services as they do today. Synagoges (i cant spell) had a completely different way of doing things. Yes, there were lessons taught in the synagoges, but there was a lot of do it yourself stuff also.

Personally, I would like to see a lot more average people putting together get togethers for Christians so we can "assemble" I'm not saying do away with going to church, I'm just sayin have some of our own on the side. The reason for this idea is because there are too many people starting to look at church like it is an organization. The lost people are thinking Christians help them because the organization hired them to. On the flip side, a lot of Christians won't help unless the organization plans a ministry by itself. I'm not saying there aren't helpful people out there. I'm just saying I think it would go smoother and be more about love if it wasn't all surrounding the premise of being a part of The Church.
Back to top Go down
pray2him4u
Pew Warmer
Pew Warmer
pray2him4u

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:22 pm

Trouble maker... LOL

Ephesians 1: 19-23
19and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, 20which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. 22And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.

Ok. So Christ is the head of the body (the church)?

Ephesians 5: 22-23
22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

So Christ is the head of the church? And we are?

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all[b] sin.

Humm..

1 john 1:5-6
5This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.

1 John 2:1-4
1My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for[a] the sins of the whole world.

3We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love[b] is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

All this scripture talks about is fellowship and what the church is. I didn't touch the gathering together part. I read this scripture and it says to me that the "church" is the body of Christ. And that Christ is the head of the "church". Now what is the church?

Websters says..
1. a building for public Christian worship.
2. public worship of God or a religious service in such a building: to attend church regularly.
3. (sometimes initial capital letter) the whole body of Christian believers; Christendom.
4. (sometimes initial capital letter) any division of this body professing the same creed and acknowledging the same ecclesiastical authority; a Christian denomination: the Methodist Church.
5. that part of the whole Christian body, or of a particular denomination, belonging to the same city, country, nation, etc.
6. a body of Christians worshipping in a particular building or constituting one congregation: She is a member of this church.
7. ecclesiastical organization, power, and affairs, as distinguished from the state: separation of church and state; The missionary went wherever the church sent him.
8. the clergy and religious officials of a Christian denomination.
9. the Christian faith: a return of intellectuals to the church.
10. (initial capital letter) the Christian Church before the Reformation.
11. (initial capital letter) the Roman Catholic Church.
12. the clerical profession or calling: After much study and contemplation, he was prepared to enter the church.
13. a place of public worship of a non-Christian religion.
14. any non-Christian religious society, organization, or congregation: the Jewish church.
–verb (used with object) 15. to conduct or bring to church, esp. for special services.
16. South Midland and Southern U.S. to subject to church discipline.
17. to perform a church service of thanksgiving for (a woman after childbirth).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
bef. 900; ME chir(i)che, OE cir(i)ce ≪ Gk kȳri(a)kón (dôma) the Lord's (house), neut. of kȳriakós of the master, equiv. to kȳ́ri(os) master (kŷr(os) power + -ios n. suffix) + -akos, var. of -ikos -ic; akin to D kerk, G Kirche, ON kirkja. See kirk

So the church according to Websters is a "place"?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:03 am

i love you sometimes pray2him4u Razz

The church according to Webster is different than the church according to the Bible. The verses you used described the church as the body of Christ. A building isn't the body of Christ obviously, so in retrospect, we do not need to have a formal church service to continue our walk with God. Where two or three are gathered He is there.

The idea of making a church in an organization setting was just put there to make it easier to the fellowship of Christians, but the fellowship can take place right there inside a persons home. They can talk about all the good things God did for them that week (worship) and get into a lesson about the Bible (sermon). They can donate money to ministries or charities (bringing the money to the storehouse) and they can invite others to their gathering (evangelism)

Now an actual church service is beneficial and more organized, but the only necessity is the core of it.
Back to top Go down
pray2him4u
Pew Warmer
Pew Warmer
pray2him4u

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:05 am

Are you pushing cell groups again? lol!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:06 am

cell groups are a ministry within churches... my look on the church topic is actually a good way to get new churches started

now who's the trouble maker?
Back to top Go down
pray2him4u
Pew Warmer
Pew Warmer
pray2him4u

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:08 am

18And I tell you that you are Peter,[a] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[b] will not overcome it.

28Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers.[a] Be shepherds of the church of God,[b] which he bought with his own blood.

24Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:10 am

the rock is the foundation... the foundation is the gospel of Christ.

man i missed these so much!
Back to top Go down
pray2him4u
Pew Warmer
Pew Warmer
pray2him4u

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:14 am

Umm I'm gonna need some scripture to back up the cell concept... LOL
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:16 am

is there any scripture on cell groups?

I know there are times when disciples stayed at someones house and people began to gather and while they taught the gathering grew and grew and many were saved
Back to top Go down
pray2him4u
Pew Warmer
Pew Warmer
pray2him4u

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:18 am

And then they devised a doctrine and became a church? Ohh wait I'm confusing this thread with the rumor one...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:19 am

hey now... be nice!
Back to top Go down
pray2him4u
Pew Warmer
Pew Warmer
pray2him4u

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:26 am

LOL Back on topic admin....

12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church

26What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:28 am

i'm waiting for you to use verses mentioning ministers and stuff Razz
Back to top Go down
pray2him4u
Pew Warmer
Pew Warmer
pray2him4u

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:37 am

Can't you just go read Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John?
Back to top Go down
ChildofGod
ChildofGod

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:45 am

well I dont think that we absolutely have to according to the word but I do think we do to get what we need... We all need to be fed and yes bible studies are good but how often are very many people gathered together for a Bible study?? I mean I dont know thats just my two cents for what ever it's worth and prolly just that two cents...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/candy_cane_7_11
pray2him4u
Pew Warmer
Pew Warmer
pray2him4u

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 11:45 am

LOL. Can't break ya. I think "church" can be held anywhere. It could be a house, a tent, or a building somewhere. I was at a concert one time where I felt we were having a straight out church service. The Holy Spirit was flowing and God was there. As admin said in a earlier post (but I would never tell him this lol) But "church" to me is where ever God is. I do think we need to gather together in the name of Jesus. Receive his word and give him Praise. How you go about doing that is whatever you choose. The word calls us to assemble together. But you have to admit Paul spent ALOT of time in regards to the "church". Take Corinthians 1 and 2. Thanksgiving, division of the church, apostles of Christ, marriage, immorality, warnings from history, believers freedom, worship, spiritual gifts, one body many parts? So much here but you get where I'm going with this.
Back to top Go down
Saved by the Blood
A2J
A2J
Saved by the Blood

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 9:20 pm

I don't believe that to go to Heaven, that you have to got to church. But why wouldn't you want to go?? (I'm not saying that to any of you. just a ? ) I can hardley wait for Wed night, Sun. and then Wed again. I get so much out of Praise and Worship. I need revived in the middle of the week. If everyone got out of it what I do, they would be there every time the doors are open.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church   Church Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Church
Page 1 of 1